3D Weaving Visual
3D Weaving Technology
3D weaving is the method of producing 3D woven preforms that have certain thickness, shape and inner pattern designs. Preforms woven by 3D weaving technology have 3 (X-Y-Z) sets of yarns instead of 2 (X-Y) compared to traditional weaving technology. It is possible to manufacture near net shape and complex net shape preforms directly from the 3D weaving machine.
3D woven layer to layer angle interlock preform
3D weaving is a crucial technology for the development of isotropic high performance composites. Thanks to through the thickness yarns in the 3D woven composites, there is no risk of delamination compared to 2D laminate composites and other composite production techniques.
According to the application of the end product, there are superabundant weaving structures possible to create via 3D weaving technology. The most common pattern designs used in 3D weaving structures are: orthogonal, layer to layer angle interlock and through the thickness angle interlock. Besides the weave architecture, the fiber type is a drastic factor in 3D woven preforms which directly effects mechanical, thermal and physical properties and resin system injection process.
3D woven 50 mm thick orthogonal preform
3D Woven Composites
Composite materials are created by the combination of two or more materials according to the desired mechanical, thermal and physical properties of the end product. Composites mainly consist of two elements: reinforcement material and matrix material. Reinforcement material is important for strength and stiffness properties of composites. Besides, matrix material is effective on fracture toughness and corrosion resistance as well as conductivity properties of composite materials. 3D woven composite is a type of fiber reinforced composite which is created by the resin impregnation of 3D woven net shape preforms with VARTM(Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Moulding) technology.
There are some crucial points that we scrutinize about the RTM process in 3D woven composites:
- Resin impregnation to the 3D woven preform must be flawless. Therefore the RTM mould design must be done ideally.
- Resin system selection must be done according to the fiber type, preform dimensions and the end use conditions of the composite material.
As 3D woven preforms have many design parameters, it is important to choose the right resin system for technical aspects of the application.
It is crucial to adjust the right injection pressure and vacuum parameters for each different preform and resin system.
While impregnating resin into the 3D woven preforms; fiber volume ratio, pattern types, preforms net shape, fiber types, fiber content ratios, RTM mould surfaces are all effective factors to the impregnation quality. Therefore, from the beginning of a project, these parameters have to be considered all together.
Advantages of 3D Woven Composites
- Preforms are directly woven into complex net shapes.
- There is practically no delamination problem between layers in 3D woven composites.
- There are yarns in all three directions(X-Y-Z) in the preform with different pattern combination possibilities.
- High fiber volume, stiffness and standart production via noncrimp and automated production technology.
- Improved impact resistance and Compression After Impact (CAI) values thanks to the through the thickness fibers that connect layers inside the composite.
- With the help of a uniquely designed software, fibers can be arranged according to the mechanical, thermal and design requiremets that is expected in the end product.
- Possibility to choose different fiber types such as carbon fiber, aramide, glass etc. in the weaving process and produce hybrid structures.
- 3D weaving technology reduces the cost of standart composite parts’ production with mass production capability.
3D Weaving Machine Production
We are capable of designing, producing and modifying our own 3D weaving machines according to the requirements of the 3D woven preform.
Design and production of these machines are made in the house with the textile machinery knowhow for more than 60 years.
3D Woven Preform Production
3D woven preform production is also a process that requires knowledge and experience like the production of the 3D weaving machine. Each product has its own engineering, installation and machine-product adaptation processes.
Our engineers take into account that this is an entirely unique technology when thinking and designing 3D woven preforms.
3D Woven Composites Production
Each 3D woven preform has its own impregnation standarts. Our engineers are over seasoned about impregnating and curing resin to create 3D woven composites.
We produce our own RTM moulds according to the design and technical aspects of preforms and resin systems. The impregnation is done with our VARTM system which is specifically designed to produce 3D woven composites.
3D weaving machine setup